The Rock Church - Blended StepFamily Ministry

Please share your story

Search by the verse that applies. For 1Cor13:5 type 5

Thursday, January 14, 2010

When I’m right, I’m right – and YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!

2If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

3And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

These verses can really set up some insightful Blended Families learning situations. If my wife and I are having a conflict, and I am right! I know I’m right and she is wrong! And I want to let her know that she is wrong – but do not have love, I am nothing.

Have not love: Paul is using the Greek word agape. Agape is the fourth word for love. It is a love that loves without changing. It is a self-giving love that gives without demanding or expecting re-payment. It is love so great that it can be given to the unlovable or unappealing. It is love that loves even when it is rejected. Agape love gives and loves because it wants to; it does not demand or expect repayment from the love given. It gives because it loves, it does not love in order to receive…. But it can be defined as a sacrificial, giving, absorbing, love. The word has little to do with emotion; it has much to do with self-denial for the sake of another. (Bolded emphasis added)

Guzik, David. "Study Guide for 1 Corinthians 13." Enduring Word. Blue Letter Bible. 7 Jul 2006. 2010. 14 Jan 2010.


Who in their right mind would want to make this kind of love “self-denial for the sake of another” a part of any relationship? As I reflect on these words my thoughts go to Jesus and the cross. If it didn’t hit you like it hit me, this is where I began to understand better that I must sacrifice the “I” in my life for the “we” – No, the “He”, as in He is in my life and is going to change the deepest parts of my heart through the love He has put in my heart for my wife. I am now going to learn more about Jesus, His love and His sacrifice as I walk deeper into the “Love Chapter” of His Living Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment