The Rock Church - Blended StepFamily Ministry

Please share your story

Search by the verse that applies. For 1Cor13:5 type 5

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Excellence of Love – In a Blended Family Life


1 Corinthians 13

1If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.



When I finished reading this verse, the phrase “I have become a noisy gong” hit me over and over. I started to ask myself a few questions. Who would want to be a Noisy Gong? This is not what I would want to be in my personal life, my work life or my family life. Then two questions hit me at about the same time “how do you become a Noisy Gong”? And “Am I a Noisy Gong in any area of my life right now”?


So now I had to see what would make me a Noisy Gong. I started to read the verse again. And again I’m hit with a phrase, “If I speak… but do not have love”. To me God’s word had me evaluate myself. When I speak to my wife, how do I show God’s love to her? When I am at work do others hear language that is “God-like”. Do I speak better to my friends than I do to my family members? So I came to the conclusion that it’s not very hard to be a Noisy Gong. But having love, showing love, knowing love – knowing God is the place to start to learn how to live a life that is Love.

1 comment:

  1. You have a very insightful reflection here. I can relate for I am sometimes (if not most of the time) a noisy gong. But I know that by God's grace, we can overcome this. So I pray for your strength of faith as you continue to live in a blending family.

    ReplyDelete